Priorities

When perusing debian-devel recently, I noticed an email indicating
that one of my packages, mailutils, has the wrong priority (Perhaps
ones day I'll understand why people talk about bugs instead of simply
filing them... *sigh*)

So my question is, How are priority important and required selected?
In this case mailutils conflicts with mailx and is not a 100% suitable
replacement yet, so there's no worries.  But, I'm planning on
uploading GNU inetutils soon.  These should certainly be priority:
required/important on hurd-i386 - netkit doesn't build on anything
other than GNU/Linux and has no intention of it.  I'd also like to see
Inetutils considered for being the default in a year or so (when we
finish tightening it up) since it's intended to be compiled on many
systems (so is suitable for GNU/Hurd and the BSD Port).

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

--
There is *no way* users will understand the distinction unless they
become proficient X programmers, or crack-smoking window manager