Re: characters in X-application replaced with boxes :(

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 09:53:32AM +0200, Bart Warmerdam wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 05:48:49PM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
>
> [ characters show as boxes in X ]
>
> > Can anyone suggest how to best determine the cause of the problem?
>
> Restart X. Helped for me numerous times for the same problem. BTW, does anyone
> know why this is happening anyhow?

No, it won't be as simple as that.  To be sure, I've restart and rebooted
many many times since I last tested the program four months ago.

I think it might be related to default fonts the program uses, there might
be some mismatch in font names or in the encoding.  X now supports UTF8
well, and I've started using it.  Some fonts are named in init.c and
fallback.h.  I'm not completely sure how to manipulate them though.  And
even when I specify a normal 8bit locale, the fonts are still screwed up.

Where an XFontStruct structure is found, is there any way to find the full
name of the corresponding font?  It's not obvious from the structure of the
struct.  If I could know what font it thinks it's using, that'd at least be
a start.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A