Re: GPG Key Signing <Pine.LNX.4.30.0107021026380.10696-100000@tennyson.netexpress.net>

>>"Steve" == Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> writes:

 Steve> The Web of Trust necessarily depends on participants acting
 Steve> out of enlightened self-interest.  IMHO, signing a public key
 Steve> of somebody who's already lost the private key is much less of
 Steve> a concern than signing the key of someone so incredibly
 Steve> bone-headed that they've posted their private key to Usenet;
 Steve> and since I can never prove that the person who's key I'm
 Steve> signing isn't this clueless, I don't see much value in
 Steve> protecting against the first case, especially since both
 Steve> problems affect the value of *their* key, not the value
 Steve> of mine or of the Web of Trust as a whole.

	By this argument, since there can never be perfect security,
 why bother? There is some value to the checks provided by the
 protocol, and now you know I follow that protocol, there is added
 value to having my signature on a key (indeed, I have been told that
 my paronia makes people trust my key sigs more than the norm), so
 there is indeed enlightened self interest at work here.

	Anyway. Its a key signing protocol. Almost no one except me
 follows it. I like it. Your mileage may vary.

	manoj
--
 I don't know why, but first C programs tend to look a lot worse than
 first programs in any other language (maybe except for fortran, but