Re: compile-time dependencies on external sources?

Oi Henrique,

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:

> I'm facing the same problem. I have a binary-all data package that is 26MB
> in size. I am not about to have both the binary .deb and source .deb 26MB in
> size... so I have a donwload target that will download upstream data in /tmp
> if it is not already there, and unpack it into the build tree.

>> The question is, is it acceptable to do this in a Debian package?  There
>> are

> Yes, AFAIK.  Not that it is a good thing to do, mind you.

> However do think about the autobuilders while designing it (I didn't have to
> bother with them since my package is binary-all). Also, you should use
> sources from the Debian samba package (probably using dpkg-source to unpack
> them in your build tree, and apt-get source to retrieve it...).

But there is yet another complication...  the module source-depends on a newer
version of Samba (2.2.0-alpha3) than is currently available in the Debian
archives. :/  If I include Samba 2.2.0-alpha3 with my package, I add 5MB to
all of the Debian archives; if I download it from the samba.org mirror sites,
I chew up bandwidth on the autobuilders.  So right now there's no solution I
like.  I just want to find the least-bad solution.

> You may also need to have your module package ensure that incompatible
> versions of the samba package and the module package aren't installed in the
> same system...

I have honestly not found a case yet where any version of pam_smbpass was
*binary*-incompatible with any version of Samba; the smbpasswd file format
they both work with doesn't change often.  The only reason for a source
dependency on a specific version of Samba is that I must patch the Samba build
scripts, and Makefile.in/configure.in DO change frequently.

> IMHO one should also always allow for a local copy of the 'donwloadable'
> data you would want to fetch from the net. It's probably best to store it in
> $TMPDIR

Hmm, I think this should be doable, yes; I do something similar in the
upstream.  Thanks for the hint!

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer