Re: some good advice for using cvs-buildpackage

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 09:54:19AM +0100, Mikael Hedin wrote:
> I have injectd my packages to cvs, and I have two questions:
>
> What do you do if the .orig.tar.gz contains *.Z files? (I'd rather not
> use my global ~/.cvsignore , and clear the ignore list etc.)

How do you want these .Z files to appear in cvs? As .Z files, or unpacked?

If you want them as .Z files, then you should probably tell cvs that
they are binary files to prevent cvs from doing keyword substitution on
them. Easiest way to do that is probably by putting "*.Z -kb" in
CVSROOT/cvswrappers. This will tell cvs that all .Z files (in all projects)
are binary.

> How do you cope with packages that use autoconf?  I.e. for each
> compile they updates some (Make)files, and the they get into the
> .diff.gz, even though they could (and hence should) be left out.

This doesn't really relate to cvs; also if you just use, say,
dpkg-buildpacakge, then the changes to the Makefile end up in the
.diff.gz.

Of course, what does relate to cvs is the fact that every time you commit
your changes, the Makefile may have changed (well, it will probably
only change once, after the first compile) and a new revision of it gets
put into cvs.  If you don't want that to happen, you can put "Makefile"
in .cvsignore in the current directory. I think, but haven't tried this,
that if you first put the original package under cvs and subsequently put
"Makefile" in .cvsignore, then every time you checkout, you will get
the original version of the Makefile back.

Peter

--
Peter van Rossum, Department of Mathematics, University of Nijmegen,
Toernooiveld 1, 6525 ED Nijmegen, The Netherlands, Phone: +31-24-3652997,