Re: Problem building a package

are you using debhelper scripts?

if yes, check the DH_COMPAT variable in debian/rules file.

if it is 1, among other things, the first binary package referred in
debian/control will be searched in debian/tmp. if it is 2, the first
package will be searched in debian/{$PACKAGE_NAME} directory.

the debian/rule anyway says in the "make install" line to install the
stuff in debian/tmp, ence the misbehavior if DH_COMPAT is set to 1.

i had a problem like this.