Re: buildpackage doesn't put compiled files into .deb

> Is anyone on the new-maint guide bit? I wouldn't remember offhand if
> DH_COMPAT=1 is deprecated for new packages now.

I am not on the new-maint guide bit, but here's what debhelper(1) says:

              V1     Setting  DH_COMPAT=1  (or  leaving it unset)
                     causes debhelper  to  act  in  compatability
                     mode.  It will use debian/tmp as the package
                     tree directory for the first binary  package
                     listed  in  the  control  file,  while using
                     debian/<package>  for  all  other   packages
                     listed  in  the  control file.  This mode is
                     deprecated.

              V2     Setting DH_COMPAT=2 causes debhelper to con-
                     sitently use debian/<package> as the package
                     tree directory for  every  package  that  is
                     built. This mode is currently set by default
                     in all the example rules files, and you  are
                     encouraged to use it.

It's funny that the default mode is deprecated :) (I understand about
breaking packages that do not set DH_COMPAT explicitely.)

Something that is confusing for maintainers new to debhelper and that use
dh_make, is that the new maintainer guide documents debian/tmp and dh_make
sets DH_COMPAT=2. When did that happen BTW? I started packaging things again
a couple weeks ago, and used dh_make, and had DH_COMPAT set to 1 by dh_make
at that time. If the change is recent, that explains why things are out of
synchronization.

YA