Re: handling new upstream versions

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Stefan Alfredsson wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> Is there a preferred way of handling new upstream versions?
>
> Eg. The two ways I can think of is
>
> - grabbing the new tarball and patch it with (my) package-diff.gz, dch and rebuild
> - diff the new and old version, and patch my debian tree with it, dch and rebuild

Third (and best) possibility:
- using uupdate

>From the Debian New Maintainers' Guide (section 6.4):

   Now let's consider a different, a wee bit more complicated situation -
   a new upstream version was released, and of course you want it
   packaged. You need to do the following:
     * Download the new sources and put the tarball (e.g. named
       `gentoo-0.9.13.tar.gz') in the directory above the old source tree
       (e.g. ~/debian/).
     * Enter the old source directory, and run:
       uupdate -u gentoo-0.9.13.tar.gz
       Of course, replace this filename with the name of your program's
       source archive. uupdate(1) will properly rename that tarball, try
       to apply all the changes from your previous .diff.gz file, and
       update the new debian/changelog file.
     * Change directory to `../gentoo-0.9.13', the new package source
       tree, and repeat what you did in Building the package, Section
       6.1, Checking the package for errors, Section 6.2, and Uploading
       the package, Section 6.3.

> Regards,
>  Stefan

cu,