Re: dpkg-source: binary file contents changed

On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 02:39:03PM -0300, Rafael Caetano dos Santos wrote:
> While trying to build a package (using debhelper), I got the following
> message from dpkg-buildpackage:
>
> dpkg-source: cannot represent change to foo: binary file contents changed
>
> for every binary file foo (executable or library).
>
> What does it mean?

Exactly that - a binary file has been changed, and binary changes can
not be represented with our source packaging system (and they shouldn't
need to be).

> Should I do a 'make clean' after 'make install' in rules??

You just have to have a totally clean source tree when you build
your package. That means that the clean: rule in your debian/rules
file MUST clear all signs of binaries and otherwise unneccessary
files that were generated during the build.

It is usually a good idea to read the toplevel Makefile and examine
its ability to clean after itself - if it can't, you have to modify
it yourself or include necccessary cleaning in your clean: rule in
the debian/rules file.