Re: My First Package. Wheee.

In Warren Anthony Stramiello's email, 10-05-2001:
> Howdy ya'll ;-)
>
> I've finished packaging my first package for inclusion in Debian now that
> I finally got accepted as a maintainer.
>
> It's XDrawChem, a linux version of ChemDraw, a fairly necessary app for
> chemistry folks (at least so my girlfriend tells me, and she's a chemistry
> major here at Tech).
>
> I read through the docs and such (NMU docs, packaging-manual, and so
> forth), and I was wondering how I should handle:
>
> a) inclusion in the testing distribution, if still possible
> b) inclusion in the unstable distribution, if still possible
> c) uploading using dupload and scp
>
> I don't want to screw up uploading and finishing my first package, purely
> as a matter of pride, so can you folks walk me through this if possible?
>
> I've right now got the i386 binary package and the source package built.
> Currently, the files are:
> xdrawchem_0.85-1.dsc
> xdrawchem_0.85-1_i386.changes
> xdrawchem_0.85-1_i386.deb
> xdrawchem_0.85-1.diff.gz
> xdrawchem_0.85.orig.tar.gz
>
> Eg, an example commandline for the upload using dupload and scp, and a
> briefer on what special stuff needs to be done for testing/unstable?
>
> Thanks!
> ~Warren
>

> --

Ohh.. cool - I've been looking for a software program to do something
like this for a while for our labs..

to get it in the unstable, just put unstable in the control file.
(it's probably in there already)..  Then when you upload, it will get
put in the queue and installed into unstable with the next
dinstall.

Inclusion in testing is automatic for unstable packages after the
package is not active in unstable and it's dependencies are already in
testing..  you shouldn't have to do anything.

for uploading, many people use dput nowadays - the command line is
fairly simple usually - just `dput xdrawchem_0.85-1_i386.changes` in
your case.  It'll ask you for your ssh passphrase if you have one..
or your password if you don't have a key on the server (see
documentation @ http://db.debian.org/password.html on how to get a ssh
key available to all the servers at once).. the developers reference
section 6 covers package uploads, but doesn't cover the dput method
right now..

hope these answer your questions.  I'm a fairly new maintainer as
well, so anyone please correct me if i'm wrong here.

--
Michael Janssen - Jamuraa - janssen@cns.uni.edu - jamuraa@base0.net
GPG Fingerprint: 87F1 92C4 44AA 4105 B1C4  EDEC D995 9620 C00E 9159