keeping files from one version to the other.

Hi,

I'm in NM and I have adopted and packaged crafty, a chess engine.

Now, crafty keeps its opening books files in /var/lib/crafty and these files
are updated whenever a new position is played. Crafty 'learns' :-)

My problem is : when upgrading the package, the files in /var/lib/crafty are
overwritten by the original files coming with the new version package. How can
I preserve these files from being overwritten ? The files are normally
installed by debian/rules :

[eric@femto:~/debian/crafty-17.13]$ less debian/rules

[...]

install: build
        dh_testdir
        dh_testroot
        dh_clean -k
        dh_installdirs

        # Add here commands to install the package into debian/tmp.
        install -d debian/tmp
        ln -sf ./crafty.6.gz \
        debian/tmp/usr/share/man/man6/crafty.bin.6.gz
        install -m2755 -o root -g games crafty debian/tmp/usr/games/crafty.bin
        install crafty.wrapper debian/tmp/usr/games/crafty
        install -m664 -o root -g games books.bin debian/tmp/var/lib/crafty
        install -m664 -o root -g games book.{bin,lrn} debian/tmp/var/lib/crafty
        install -m664 -o root -g games position.{bin,lrn}
debian/tmp/var/lib/crafty
        install debian/doc/crafty.{faq,doc} debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/crafty
        install debian/doc/read.me debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/crafty
        install -m666 debian/crafty.rc debian/tmp/etc

[...]

Thanks.

--

Eric VAN BUGGENHAUT