Re: /etc/ question

On 23-Feb-2001 Amaya wrote:
> Sean 'Shaleh' Perry dijo:
>> how will this affect current users of your package?  when they upgrade, will
>> they lose all of their old settings?
>
> Of course not! ;-) I'd just move them to the new location.
> But, I'm starting to think this is not a good idea, maybe.

after talking with other devels here is a method:

in your preinst, check for /etc/foo and if it exists, mkdir /etc/package and
copy /etc/foo there.  Then remove /etc/foo.  Import thing here is that the
preinst should not die because of any errors here.

Your package contains /etc/package/foo.  When dpkg gets to the point where the
conffile will be installed, it will do the usual checking if the conffile
should be changed and prompting the user.