Re: Build-Depends

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 02:53:52PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Does your package need package B, or does your package just need package A,
> which needs package B?
>
> I would argue (others may disagree :) that if I'm packaging a program that
> uses libfoo directly, and the program also uses libbar which links against
> libfoo, I should Build-Depend: on both libfoo-dev and libbar-dev.  That way if
> tomorrow the maintainer of libbar decides to patch her package so that it
> builds "foo-free libbar", the autobuilders will still know what to do with
> /my/ package.

If your program directly uses libfoo and libbar, then you should
build-depend on both. If your program only needs libbar because libfoo
needs libbar, then don't.

I was particularly annoyed by the following bug report received
against one of my packages:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=84871&repeatmerged=yes

The submitter assumed that my build-dep for libglib-dev was unnecessary
because I was also depending on libgtk1.2-dev.

Hamish