RE: Build-Depends

On 16-Feb-2001 Jochen Voss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two question about Build-Depends:
>
> (1) If I want to Build-Depend on packages A, B, C, D, E, and F.  And A
> depends on B, C, D, E, and F.  Should I just mention A, because it
> implies B to F or should I enumerate them all?

the smallest set of depends, just like a depends line.

> (2) If I try to compile a package via "dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot"
> and some Build-Depends are not satisfied, should I see an error moessage
> then?  Or is there some command to check the build dependencies?

nothing verifies them.  So if a package could compile without it, it will, or
it may die somewhere in the middle.  dpkg does this.  if you leave off the
docbook depends, it will completely build, but when it tries to make the docs
it dies.  On the other hand some gtk apps will work without gnome, so you get a
gtk pure app.