spurious INSTALL file in docs

I'm trying to tidy up my package gworldclock.
There's an INSTALL file in the package root directory (from the upstream
edition), but it's not referred to in the build process.  It's just a
standard informative file for autoconf.

Now debian/rules simply handles docs by invoking dh_installdocs.
However, on installing the package, for some reason I find that INSTALL.gz
gets itself installed into /usr/share/doc/gworldclock.

Can anyone hazard a guess why?  It really shouldn't be there, and I can't see
how it got there either.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A