Re: How to choose a good first package?

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 07:18:24PM -0500, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> Hi. I would like to play around with some program and try to come up with a
> .deb for it, in order to learn how to do it. I'd like it to be reasonably
> simple, but I'd also like not to be duplicating work that's already been done.
> Can someone recommend a good package? I've been scanning freshmeat for
> candidates, and I'm looking through wnpp as well. Any other ideas. Or, any
> ideas of what kinds of packages I should be looking for? What dependencies
> they should have? Should I start with a GNOME/GTK+ one, or a simple one that
> just requires libc?

single binary, non-lib, non-daemon, with minimal configuration,
non-setgid/uid, straightforward, small..
is pretty easy.

Try looking at wnpp, or sourceforge 'packagers wanted' list for
something that interests you and looks useful.

--
Brian Russo <brusso@phys.hawaii.edu> GPG ID: 54D81666
Debian/GNU OS: http://www.debian.org <wolfie@debian.org>