revamp of Net::GrpNetworks with unresponsive upstream?

Hi,

a few months ago, I tried packaging the perl module Net::GrpNetworks
(http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/A/AR/ARVIEGAS/Net-GrpNetworks-1.08.tar.gz,
released November 1999) as a Debian package and found that it is
missing two features that I need. I contacted the package's author and
got no reply back. Last week, I implemented the features I needed. In
the course of this implementation, the internal implementation of the
module was completely changed, so that only the "API" remained nearly
unchanged.

Since upstream is not responding, I am now unsure whether to simply
bump the upstream version number, or to make it a whole new package,
upload it to CPAN and make my Package from "my" perl package (giving
proper credit to GrpNetworks' original author of course).

If I upload "my" package to CPAN, would it be okay to leave the debian
subdirectory in the tarball, and having an empty Debian patch in the
Debian source package?

Any hints will be appreciated.

Greetings
Marc