Installing symbolic links

Hi.  I am packaging an application for which the original source installs
itself all into the same directory.  In order to comply with the FHS, I have
split the application into pieces beneath /usr/lib, /usr/share and /usr/bin.
So the application can find data where it expects to, I am making a symbolic
link from /usr/lib/snappea/... to /usr/share/snappea/....

I am currently setting up said link by including a snappea.links file in my
debian/ directory, and everything works fine.

However, if a user on a non-debian system unpacks the sources and types "make
install", the link will not be created since it is being made by the dpkg
installation procedure.

Is there a clean way of having "make install" create the symbolic link and
having dpkg-buildpackage ignore the "make install" link and refer to
snappea.links instead?

Is this something I should even be concerned about?

Thanks!

Ben.