Maintainer qualification

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 08:13:57AM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:

> You should always be able to backport a patch.  If not, I'm sorry, but that
> this should be one quality of a Debian maintainer, you lack something...

You must be kidding. We can't expect from any maintainer the ability
to be able to modify the code of their packages. At least that is
the impression I got when joining Debian - we are packaging software,
not developing it. If the maintainer develops the software as well
that is a nice bonus but I don't think that this is really needed.

I don't think that I would be able to do a security fix for mozilla
or to some gs internals for example.

Thanks

	Torsten