Re: What's next. Re: Please check implementation

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 06:13:10PM +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:
> > You could make my day in turn to add more of the data we need for the
> > packages not yet tagged. :-P
>
> @Matúš, you may rest assured that any task entry that has any registry
> reference also had bio.tools checked.

I don't mind if Matus / whoever, also takes over other than bio.tools
entries.

> >>  * The coloured backgrounds don't work in Firefox, but that's no problem at
> >> all.
> > Strange.  I'm using firefox and it works.  Pretty simple CSS ...
> Also works over here with FireFox on MacOS.

Good to know.

> >>  * I really like the coloured backgrounds otherwise (yeah!), but even more
> >> transparency would look much better to me.
> > Just send me the html color codes you would prefer to see.
> Sigh. I wished we would find a solution with fewer colours, but ... fine
> for now.

I'm not a designer and I accept any suggestion (without color, unique
color, wahtever).  Just settle with something what I should put there
and I'll do as decided but do not make me changing the style twice a
week.  Take the colors as demonstration what we *can* do, not what we
need to do and come up with a patch to the css file.

> > Nice hints.  The best will be probably if somebody would send me a patch
> > for sentinel.css.
>
> The task pages have an enormous wealth.  Would be another MoM or outreachy
> project to find the most suitable layout for them.

I do not feel capable to mentor this kind of outreachy project.  Its
most probably a task for two persons:  One who does the design and one
who implements that design.  I'd be really happy if someone would like
to do this job but I will be none of the above said persons.

> >>  * RRID|SciCrunch: identifiers.org don't guarantee anything. If there's no
> >> cool permanent URL, identifiers.org don't have it either. That's exactly the
> >> case here.
> Is it? SciCrunch RRIDs and identifiers.org should be well synced.

I admit I did not expected that these registries are that much in flux
and I'm honestly wondering if we have **way** more software packaged
what is the real sense of those registries.  I have no idea what amount
of work is needed to add a registry entry but I naively assume that in
most cases the work is less than creating a proper package.  So what is
the sense of **several** registries that are very incomplete?

> >> Unless they really have some temporary server-side problems
> >> exactly now. DuckDuckGo doesn't help either. (Unlike with OMICtools, there
> >> it works awesomely!!) The only usable link I found for RRID|SciCrunch is
> >> https://scicrunch.org/scicrunch/data/source/nlx_144509-1/search?q=SCR_010709
> >> i.e. prefix
> >> "https://scicrunch.org/scicrunch/data/source/nlx_144509-1/search?q=";.
> >> Unfortunately I haven't found a way to get the first hit directly. And the
> >> RRID link is dead just like the identifiers.org link. And sorry for a dumb
> >> question, are there any non-SciCrunch RRIDs, or should they all have a
> >> record in the SciCrunch registry?
>
> The OMICtools folks refer to their IDs as RRIDs as well.
> https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1707/1707.03659.pdf
>
> This has not yet made it into our community's biotech sprech, but, well,
> just
> by browsing through the tasks list you may get an idea why I like to avoid
> any confusion on that end.
>
> Anyway, I think you agree that the surfacing of those references on our
> task pages is a fruit of something that was seeded by bio.tools'
> participation
> in Debian Med's 2015 St Malo Sprint and has since been with us throughout
> all other Sprints and your Hackathons. Kind of funny that OMICtools seems
> to benefit the most at this stage, and they even link back to Debian, too.
> I rest assured that you happily compete on those two fronts.
>
> The interesting bit is now about how to continue the development. We could
> argue that if bio.tools and friends do it right, there is no real need
> for Debian
> to have any task page orchestrated by themselves.

You mean bio.tools should run the tasks pages query twice a day and
present that result?

> This will not happen since
> we would then not have something to experiment with under our control and
> these task pages are autogenerated as part of the Debian Blends concept.
> But at  least our users should prefer the software registries over what
> the Debian
> community autogenerates.

Why?