Re: new software ready for inspection: situs

Hi Mickaël,

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 04:04:07PM +0200, Mickaël Canévet wrote:
> I'd like to know what are (if there are) the rules to contact the
> upstream author to discuss about:

I do not think that there exist other rules than common sense.  Please
keep the mailing list in CC.  To be friendly to upstream it might be a
good idea to set him into *BCC* in case his e-mail address is not
browsable on the web.  The rationale is that the mailing list archive
uncovers To/CC fields to spammers.  Please ask for permission to discuss
openly on the mailing list if at any rate possible.

> - default linkage towards embedded libfftw,

I think it would be great if upstream would at least provide a simple
method (variable you could pass to make to simply ignore the convenience
copy of the libfftw library.  It would even be better to make it the
default to use system libraries if these are found.

> - presence of pre-compiled binaries and fftw sources in archives,

Please ask upstream to ship without any pre-compiled binaries (and
possibly provide these in a separate downloadable tarball).

> - lack of direct url to watch for new version

And as I said do not forget that a Debian package has the implicite
consequence that the source will be available from Debian mirrors.
The reward we could give is real user numbers via popcon results.

> Should I write him in the name of the Debian Med Team, in my own name,
> or should I let a senior member of the team do it ?

There are definitely only members - no senior or junior or whatever.
In our team there exist only first class citizens, right.  You could
find some example texts when asking Giggle for:

   site:lists.debian.org/debian-med "I'm writing you "