Re: General solution for name space pollution issues

Le Tue, May 15, 2012 at 01:42:38PM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> I commited in SVN for PAML a solution which moves all binaries to
>
>    /usr/lib/debian-med/bin
>
> and symlinked all but the evolver binary to /usr/bin.  Evolver is in
> /usr/bin symlinked to paml-evolver.  I'm quite uncertain about the
> choice of the prefix and whether it might make sense to prefix all
> binaries rather than one or finally using a wrapper called paml.  But
> these details can (and should) be dicsussed here on the Debian Med
> mailing list.  For the moment I would like to draw your attention to the
> other part of the solution I would like to suggest:
>
> Tweaking the PATH for Debian Med users:
>
>   1. Make paml  Depends: med-config
>   2. Let med-config drop a script in /etc/profile.d which
>      sets PATH="/usr/lib/debian-med/bin:$PATH"
>      if debconf question "Do you want to prefer Debian Med
>      executables prefered over other ones <bla bla - give
>      reasons + warning>"

Hi Andreas,

I think we definitely need namespaces like this and even if the final
implementation may be different, I think that it is a good start.

I would rather put a "Recommends" or even "Suggests" relationship with
med-config, so that the solution is either opt-in or opt-out.

Technically, using /usr/lib/debian-med/bin will be a FHS violation in case the
programs in that directory are scripts, but I do not think it has detrimental
consequences to the system.  After all, /usr/lib/cgi-bin also contais scripts.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,