Re: [PyHealthcare] ANN: python-hl7 0.2.0

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 02:53:49PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> > > A few things would need to happen to merge https://github.com/lkcl/hl7:
> > > - That repo is not a typical git/hg fork, but rather is a fresh git
> > > init based off of the 0.1.1 tar file.  The changes would need to be
> > > rebased upon the mainline.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is a burning issue if you just want to package
> the current version.  However, if this is a call for help we have Git
> experts lurking on this list (not me personally).

To straighten this out a bit:

John is upstream for the original python-hl7 code.

Luke (at lkcl/hl7) did some work to extend John's code on
behalf of GNUmed.

John's currently interested in packaging his hl7 code which
has evolved since Luke took off.

Since Luke did not invest in "properly" cloning John's git
tree but decided to create his own as if this was entirely
new code (no doubt for good reasons) it is basically upon
Luke to tell and bring his code to John's tree.

With Luke not seeming all too interested in this and the
asking (on the python-healthcare list) for things needing
doing I suggested someone might look at this.

Surely, a git expert might be helpful in that.

> > > - There are no unit tests that I can find (the ones that existed in
> > > the 0.1.1 code base are gone).  I would ideally like to seem pretty
> > > high test coverage
>
> Hmmm, Unit tests would be a nice feature.  In the ITP you are listed as
> maintainer *and* upstream - so what about reimplementing these tests
> into the new version?  While this is also not urgent for packaging it
> makes prefectly sense to profit from tests.

It'd be entirely understandable if John did not desire to
spend too much effort on that since AFAICT there hasn't been
that good of a reason to remove them in Luke's code in the
first place.

> > > - It appears that 2k+ XML files from Mirth are included in the
> > > references/ folder.  Mirth being an MPL license, I believe we need to
> > > discuss (at least document better) the impact of adding this to a
> > > BSD-licensed project.
> >
> > I see. Obviously I don't know enough about that code.
>
> As far as I know BSD and MPL license are compatible.  So just mentioning
> this fact in the debian/copyright file should be sufficient.

That's good to know.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346