Re: blast+ packaging

Tim Booth <avarus@fastmail.fm> writes:

> I'm having a look at the package now.  I've pushed some changes to SVN
> already - I hope you don't mind.  To explain...

Thanks for getting the review process started!  I'll give more feedback
once I've had time to take a closer look at the packaging, but in the
meantime here's my take on the points you've raised.

> I don't think you need to repack the source in this case.  The
> guidelines say to rename the tarball file, but not to change the
> contents unless there is a pressing reason to do so.  I've tweaked the
> rules file to work with the pristine source.

Indeed; while there's no need for the convenience copies of zlib, bzlib, or
libpcre, their presence poses no legal complications, so it should suffice
to document them in debian/copyright.  For that matter, there's also no
need to spell out "-plus."

> Do we really need all boost libs installed to build and run correctly?

No, libboost-test-dev should suffice, and even then only if you want to
build (and presumably run) the test suite.  I also see no need for build
dependencies or explicit runtime dependencies on shared libraries.

> I don't think we can get away with having this package conflict with
> blast2.

Right, coexistence would be better, and I like the renaming idea.  That
said, I would consider alternatives and diversions to be legitimate
possibilities as well; likewise for shipping an additional package that
just arranges by whatever means for rpsblast et al. to run BLAST+ binaries.

http://www.mit.edu/~amu/ | http://stuff.mit.edu/cgi/finger/?amu@monk.mit.edu