Re: Qiime package modifications

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 03:10:05PM +0000, Tim Booth wrote:
> is to move the Python script out from /usr/bin and add a wrapper so
> instead of typing:
>
> check_id_map.py [...]
>
> You type:
>
> qiime check_id_map [...]
>
> This abolishes a load of Lintian warnings. :-)

Seems to be reasonable.

> There may well be issues with my approach right now but my absolute
> priority is to get a working package out to Bio-Linux users, so please
> just bear with me while I do that.

Yes, we do. :-)
Perhaps we support your work by hunting some warnings for you as well.

> Once the BL users say they are happy
> I'll tidy up any loose ends.  My aim is to end up with a "qiime" package
> that is "proper Debian" in SVN and a "bio-linux-qiime" wrapper package
> in our repository that sorts out the non-free dependencies.

This perfectly fits my plan for the usage of Debian packages inside
BioLinux.

> BTW - I wasted a fair amount of time by not realising that use of
> rules/debhelper.mk and override_dh_* rules are mutually incompatible.

Uhmm.  I hereby have a serious suggestion:  If you feel there is a need
for a change in debian/rules please always prefer short dh notation over
cdbs.  So instead of using debhelper.mk which is part of cdbs just drop
all this stuff, use dh and override_ . It is way more simple, consistent
and so easy to understand that you do not need any documentation which
is *really* hard to find for cdbs.

So if you have any trouble with changing the qiime rules file to dh -
just tell me - I'll do this in 2 minutes for you.

Moreover please stop using pycentral.  The author of python-central is
currently filing bug reports against the usage of his own outdated work.
You can check out a working example for python-support2 in dicompyler
packaging which boils down to simple

	dh $@ --with python2

As I said:  I'd volunteer to do this change if you ping me.

> Eventually I realised that the documentation was no help and went and
> read the debhelper.mk template directly, but as someone not fluent in
> make syntax it was hard going...

Please do not waste your time with CDBS documentation.  It is bad and
this is one of the best reasons to drop CDBS in favour of debhelper.  We
simply used cdbs because it was first and we should not stick to this
historical reason.

For the other dependencies you might need and which are prepared in SVN
as you and Steffen discussed in private mail: Please make some kind of
priority list what package we should push to new first, second, third ...