Re: FreeDiams 0.5.0 Beta released (Mac, Win)

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 10:21:44AM +0200, Eric Maeker wrote:

> > The best is to commit changes to the Debian files to the
> > Debian Med VCS (*.dsc *.build *.changes) and provide a
> > uscan'able tarball of the original source somewhere.
>
> Ah so I need to svn add and commit the dsc build and changes files to
> freediams/trunk/debian/ ?

Yep.

> Wooo all of this is awfully complex

The result of that complexity is, however, the reliability
of the Debian platform.

> with my so little debian dev experience ;)

What I am doing is this:

- during development collect hints packagers will need to know
	- reorgs of the tree
	- new binaries/shell scripts
	- new runtime requirements
	- new dependancies
- upload releases as versioned tarballs to a uscan'able location
- DHS/watch/uscan will pick those up
- send a release announcement to our mailing lists
- send Andreas the packaging hints
- fix Andreas' complaints ;-)

So, all in all, I let Andreas handle the (typically little)
adjustments to the Debian packaging files. His expertise in
packaging with my knowledge of the GNUmed application,
packages and tarballs make this a breeze. It takes a bit of
discipline (say, provide man pages for each "binary") but
all of the items of discipline make either good sense or are
the result of a decision in a matter where things could have
been decided one way or another equally well.

I believe Sebastian then piggy-backs on the Debian release
to create Ubuntu packages from them and offer them for
installation in a Personal Package Archive (PPA).

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346