Re: seaview_4.0-1_amd64.changes is NEW

Le Wed, May 27, 2009 at 10:04:28AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 10:25:53AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > I uploaded a new upstream version of SeaView, which unfortunately became
> > non-free as it uses files from the PHYLIP package, that does not allow
> > revenues to be drawn.
>
> Time for another round to contact phylip authors about their license?
> I tried several times and I think somebody else than me could have a
> try to free this widely used in microbiology programm package.

Hi Andreas,

after discussion with SeaView's Upstream, we actually gave up contacting them
as we felt very pessimistic after we saw that PHYLIP's copyright was recently
transferred to the University of Washington itself. It means corresponding with
people whose evaluation is about how they manage to secure IP and earn
royalties.

http://evolution.genetics.washington.edu/phylip/doc/main.html#copyright

My secret hope for SeaView is that somebody will itched enough to code
replacement files for the phylogeny functions.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles