Re: Inofficial packages for medical imaging

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Michael Hanke wrote:

This pool contains several backported packages.  I would recommend
using backports.org for a better consolidation and helping users to
find this stuff at a central place.
Right, this is true. The reason why I will not do this, at least in the
near future is, that I am not a DD. I would have to ask for sponsoring
(twice). I am in close contact with me prefered sponsor, but I do not
want to put this additional burden on him.

Hmmmm, did you got the feeling that the sponsoring does not work
in the Debian-Med team????  Even if you stick to your policy to
"put no burden on your prefered sponsor" using a common SVN would
be a great help for anybody (including this person). Moreover you
might consider (re)reading our policy[1] about group maintenance your
arguing becomes weak.  Nearly all packages in the biology section are group
maintained with DDs and non-DDs attached as Uploaders and those packages
that are group maintained are in a really good state.  Please keep in
mind that the Lenny freeze comes closer.  If you will not manage to move
your packages to official Debian in time your prefered sponsor will be kept
busy with backports for estimated additional 1.5 years with backports for
Lenny.

ATM there is only one prospective package that I'd consider a candidate
for Debian that I also want to maintain by myself (read: willing to invest
time in it, not occupying by sticking my name on it).

OK, fine, so group maintenance seems to be no problem for you.

This package is
called 'caret' and is my only open ITP. All other I made in the past,
because I thought they might be needed as deps for other packages.
However, the situation change significantly and I do not maintain them
anymore.

Well, this is information we are keen on hearing here on this list.
It is about coordination.  It would be a shame to leave packages
prepared until some point bit rotting anywhere and nobody knows
about the status.

I've uploaded all of them to mentors some time ago. Feel free
to fetch them from there (the ones that are not yet in Debian) and
inject them into the deb-med-svn, if they look appropriate.

I will do so in the next couple of days.

Per visibility: So far the packages seem to be in good shape. For me the
current approach debian-med has taken with svn and deb+patches-only
is a quite high threshold.

I consider this as a valid argument.  While several people are fine
with this we should not put any presure on potential maintainers to
do so.  I have no problem to implement alternatives if they are
_documented_.   Experience in the past has shown that there are
kind people hanging around on this list who converted stuff where
just the changed files were checked in to patches.  Just try it.

ATM I'd consider this more work for me not
less, as I got used to use git plus its tools and the repositories on
Alioth. Maybe times will change ... ;-)

Well, times will come when we will see more git adictives.  I have
no problem with freedom of choice for the tools and we will have to
live with some divergence.  Unfortunately there is no ultimative
tool.  So are you willing to implement a Debian-Med git repository
modelled after the current SVN and document it as alternative in
our policy document?
If not your argument you can not use svn because you are using git
sounds week after having heard a talk about git at LinuxTage Chemnitz:
Git is perfectly able to export to svn and thus you might be able
to use this repository as well.

If nothing sounds like an option for you to enhance teamwork please
at least drop us some information which work you have done, which
is stalled for some reason, where are the git repositories and the
stuff at mentors.

PS: The caret package needs a tiny bit of more work, so it is not yet
ready to go. This is mainly due to the size of the datasets shipped with
it. I have a solution, but it has to be polished before it can serve as
a proposal how to deal with big datasets.

Feel free to discuss those issues here.

Kind regards and thanks for working on medical imaging

       Andreas.

[1]  http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html