Re: ITK debian packages

Hello Gavin,

Now that I have gccxml and cableswig built (locally), I'm having
a closer look at the ITK packages themselves.

You've patched several CMakeLists.txt files to set the VERSION and
SOVERSION of shared libraries.

Did the suggestion of SOVERSION of 4 come from upstream?  Are they
going to incorporate this?

Why is VERSION set to "2.4.0"?  Shouldn't it normally start with the
same number as SOVERSION?

For reference, VTK 5 builds using

  SET(VTK_MAJOR_VERSION 5)
  SET(VTK_MINOR_VERSION 0)
  SET(VTK_BUILD_VERSION 0)
  SET(VTK_VERSION
    "${VTK_MAJOR_VERSION}.${VTK_MINOR_VERSION}.${VTK_BUILD_VERSION}")

  SET(VTK_LIBRARY_PROPERTIES ${VTK_LIBRARY_PROPERTIES}
    VERSION "${VTK_VERSION}"
    SOVERSION "${VTK_MAJOR_VERSION}.${VTK_MINOR_VERSION}")

Maybe we could suggest/request that upstream adopt something similar?

-Steve