Packaging of FSL for Debian

Hi!

In the department where I work, we are doing a lot of fMRI-experiments. Almost
all analysis tools we use are running under Debian.

We now want to try another toolbox, which is FSL
( http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/fsl/ ). FSL is currently not available for
Debian, but the source code can be downloaded from the homepage.

We are currently trying to package the whole thing for Debian and would
appreciate every help we can can.

Packaging is quite difficult, since the source tarball contains a lot of
different libraries and programs. Some of them are already available as
separate packages in Debian.

Moreover there are unclear licensing issues. Most of the code is under some
kind of non-commercial license
( http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/fsl/fsl/licence.html ). While some other parts
are GPL'ed. And there seems to be no sharp edge between those licences.

And there is another issue: FSL needs AFNI ( http://afni.nimh.nih.gov/afni/ ).
I know of some unofficial Debian packages of AFNI
( http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=61662 ), but I would
really like to have them in Debian officially. Which should be no problem,
since AFNI is completely GPL'ed.

I know there there was a discussion some time ago about making official AFNI
packages ( http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2004/10/msg00022.html ). Did
that made any progress?

So far from me. I would like to here your comments.

Ciao,

Michael

--
GPG key:  1024D/3144BE0F Michael Hanke