Re: gnutls/nettle (CVE-2018-16868/CVE-2018-16869)

Am 04.03.19 um 16:33 schrieb Sylvain Beucler:
[...]
> I see this as a strong signal that we should not attempt to backport the
> fix, and go with a <no-dsa> (minor).
>
> Alternatively we could upgrade nettle (libnettle4->libnettle6) which
> doesn't break gnutls28's test suite, though it's likely to introduce
> other issues (e.g. #789119).
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Cheers!
> Sylvain

I also worked on nettle/gnutls26 for Wheezy. There are too many changes
and just backporting rsa_sec_decrypt in nettle would be an incomplete
fix for CVE-2018-16869 because they introduced more hardening against
those side-channel attacks in other functions. An upgrade of nettle
would require a rebuild of all reverse-dependencies and that is probably
too intrusive.

Regards,

Markus