encrypted root filesystem

Is there any cryptsetup hook to encrypt the root file system for Debian live builds? Some way to encrypt the live media itself as part of the boot process? Of course I'm not talking about encrypted persistence which is documented nicely in the debian live manual. Just to be clear I am talking about having the read only root file system encrypted with cryptsetup since the losetup method of loop-aes has been removed and there is no longer a lb config -e (encryption) option any more.

Thanks,

paul