Live build installer with extra packages with conflicting versions fails to install

Hi all,

I'm using live-build for a while now, mainly to easily create a custom installer (with d-i preseed and all the packages I need for our Debian installation) and ran into a problem.

I'm running this for wheezy, and using live-build 3.0.5-1, but I've seen this issue also on older versions, and probably it will happen on a newer version too.

Scenario:
* I want to include the package "mc" on the cd (in the dist/ tree)
* to accomplish this, in the file config/package-lists/custom.list.binary I include "mc"
* building the iso (lb clean; lb config; lb build) works OK

Problem: when booting this ISO, the installer won't work due to a version conflict:
* mc depends on e2fslibs, which gets pulled in by the lb build
* the version of e2fslibs in the debian repos is currently 1.42.5-1.1+deb7u1
* the version provided by the current debian installer is 1.42.5-1.1

It took me a while to figure out, but during installation the debootstrap chokes on this. The debian installer first installs the 1.42.5-1.1 version. Later on in the process it wants to upgrade this, due to the fact that dpkg --predep-package reports that e2fslibs needs to be upgraded. But since this is a required package, it is filtered from the list, and hence a dpkg command with no argument is executed, resulting in an error message that the dpkg command needs an extra argument.

Something similar happens if you want to include isc-dhcp-server into the custom.list.binary: the udeb version of isc-dhcp-common in the debian installer does not match the version grabbed as dependency of isc-dhcp-server. Hence isc-dhcp-common gets upgraded, but fails because of the version mismatch with the client, and the installer fails.

Any thoughts on this, or should I address it to the folks over at debian-boot?

Kind regards,

Eelco Brolman