usb-hybrid, usb-hdd and what way to get verbose output on CLI ?

Hi all,
Newbie questions as far as usb stuff is concerned.

I have tried to figure out what's the difference between usb-hybrid
iso's and usb-hdd .img's but have failed. Maybe the documentation is
located somewhere on live.debian.net and I failed to find it. Please
direct me if there is documentation somewhere . I did see the manual
but it was all about the live-debian scripts rather than anything
about the releases hosted there. At the very least a plug to the
debian Installation guide would be nice.

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/

Reading up on Debian I just get this :-

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/apas02.html.en

A.2.2. USB memory stick

It's also possible to install from removable USB storage devices. For
example a USB keychain can make a handy Debian install medium that you
can take with you anywhere.

The easiest way to prepare your USB memory stick is to download any
Debian CD or DVD image that will fit on it, and write the CD image
directly to the memory stick. Of course this will destroy anything
already on the memory stick. This works because Debian CD images are
"isohybrid" images that can boot both from CD and from USB drives.

There are other, more flexible ways to set up a memory stick to use
the debian-installer, and it's possible to get it to work with smaller
memory sticks. For details, see Section 4.3, “Preparing Files for USB
Memory Stick Booting”.

Some BIOSes can boot USB storage directly, and some cannot. You may
need to configure your BIOS to boot from a “removable drive” or even a
“USB-ZIP” to get it to boot from the USB device. For helpful hints and
details, see Section 5.1.5, “Booting from USB Memory Stick”.
Now in section 4.3 http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en

It says :-

# cat debian.iso > /dev/sdX

which in my case would be # cat debian.iso > /dev/sdb

The question is, is there a way to get verbose output ? Also do I have
to unmount the device before doing the above.

Also is the command

~/debian-live-6.0.6-amd64-gnome-desktop_CD$ sudo dd
if=debian-live-6.0.6-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso of=/dev/sdb

is the same as the one given above ?
Just a different command of doing the same thing or there is a difference ?

Is there a way to get some sort of progress bar or something to know
something is happening or not without resorting to just look at the
blinking lights on the usb-key.

Looking forward to make sense of it all.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल