Re: On persistency in newer live-boot

04/08/2012 01:19 PM, Daniel Baumann:
> 1. partition and filesytem labels
>
> [...]
>
> therefore, i suggest to use:
>
>   overlay-full, for full persistent overlays
>   overlay-custom, for custom overlays
>   snapshot-full, for full system snapshots
>   snapshot-custom, for custom snapshots (to be implemented)
>
> on (basically all non-ms) systems where we have no 11 characters
> limitation, with the following fallbacks (in the unrealistic hope that
> at some point we can drop this):
>
>   ov-full, for full persistent overlays
>   ov-custom, for custom overlays
>   sn-full, for full system snapshots
>   sn-custom, for custom snapshots (to be implemented)

Sure (to be continued later in the thread).

> and keeping home-sn and live-sn for live-boot 3.x for backwards
> compatiblity with 2.x (and removing it in 4.x).

I assume the same goes for home-rw backwards-compatibility?

> 4. live.persist naming

live-persistence.conf (as agreed upon later in the thread) is fine.

> 5. live.persist options
>
> again, live.persist is really awesome, but i suggest to change the
> 'linkfiles' option to simply 'link' (shorter is better, the 'files' part
> doesn't really gain anything).

It's because it links regular files only, and not directories (see
below). It's not a terribly good name, though, so I'm happy with
changing it to just 'link'.

> oh, and quick question, there's something i didn't really understand:
> why is that in the example of linkfiles in the manpage of live.persist,
> the /home/user2/.ssh directory is created and its content symlinked,
> rather than the directory as a whole being symlinked? is it because
> otherwise the permissions would be to liberal (in the case of .ssh,
> where you want the directory to be 0700 and the persistency possibly
> could be on a FAT fs not supporting permissions)?

The point of this option is to make only certain *non-directory* *files*
persistent, namely exactly those the user puts in the source directory
on the persistent media. If directories also were symlinked, any files
created inside such a directory after persistence is activated would be
made persistent (i.e. added to the source directory), and it's precisely
this situation this option is meant to avoid.

Cheers!