Re: On persistency in newer live-boot

On 04/08/2012 01:19 PM, Daniel Baumann wrote:
>   overlay-full, for full persistent overlays
>   overlay-custom, for custom overlays
>   snapshot-full, for full system snapshots
>   snapshot-custom, for custom snapshots (to be implemented)

actually, i've though a bit more about it (sorry for the mess)..

..why care about full and custom persistency at all? full persistency is
just a special case of custom persistency, where '/ bind' in
live.persist is used (which currently is invalid in order to not
interfere with full-ov). wouldn't that be simpler/nicer?

the only drawbacks i can see are:

  * it's kind of ugly to always have a /live.persist in the root of the
    overlay partition. that could be workarounded by allowing/requireing
    to use /.live.persist instead (which works on fat/ntfs too, not just
    on the unix/unix-like fs'es).

  * in the full persistency case, a simple mkfs -L full-ov would not
    be enough, it would be a two step process to also create the config
    file. personally, that wouldn't bother me.

if we'd do that, we could, fs label wise, get away with 'overlay' and
'snapshot', both being below 11 characters, so no fallbacks for legacy
fs'es/os'es would be needed.

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net