Re: Broken documentation

Hi Brian,

On 21 February 2010 16:35, Brian Wilson <brian@wildsong.biz> wrote:
> Well, I am not able to contribute yet to a manual, I just need a little
> help. But say I wanted to take a stab at filling in one of those FIXME's. I
> can't do that, instead when I follow the contribute link I see this

http://live.debian.net/manual/html/meta.html#contributing
The instructions are quite detailed for add/contributing to the
manual. Although (speaking from experience) it may be be easy for
someone not familiar with git. But then again I now love git.

> "The preferred way to submit a contribution is to send it to the mailing
> list."
>
> SO the feedback loop is very open - I submit something and someone anonymous
> somewhere someday might possibly consider whether my submission is good
> enough and add it. Then maybe someday it will show up on the site.

People are quite helpful on the list and this project. If something is
submitted, someone will bound up your effort and add to the
documentation. This ensure the manual is accurate. Everything I have
submitted has made it to the manual very quickly.

> I still don't know how things are supposed to work, and I think a basic
> overview should either be in the wiki or the manual.

http://live.debian.net/manual/html/ch03s02.html
It is difficult to know what is missing,

> My specific problem: when I change a file, and it does not show up in the
> finished image, I get very annoyed and frustrated. The instance I am talking
> about right now is the /etc/network/interfaces file. I put it into config/
> tree, I put it into chroot/ tree and still it seems to end up with my
> changes ignored. What is in the finished image is generic and does not even
> have my interfaces in it.
>
> So some step overwrites my changes before they go from chroot/ into the
> finished binary image. Where? How do I fix this?

I am a bit rusty , but maybe try live-magic and the included hooks.

Regards,
Brendan