Re: some more patches for the live-bottom scripts

Ronny Standtke wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi,

> I think it is better to not frighten poor users with the debug output of
> our initramfs scripts. Here are some patches that silence them.

partially merged, see blow, thanks.

> I did not get any response for my first patch.

so? Some times it happens to take a couple of days until someone looks
at the things. Since I know for sure that you know that I'm in NYC for
three weeks vacations, this makes it even more pointless ping after 48
hours. After all, we're all volunteers and there is no
right/guarantee/$whatever to have patch review within a certain time,
although we of course try our best.

Pinging about unmerged stuff is imho appropriate after a week without answer

-if ! grep "${USERNAME}" /root/etc/passwd
+if ! grep "${USERNAME}" /root/etc/passwd >/dev/null

this should be grep -qs instead.

-	chroot /root /usr/sbin/locale-gen
+	chroot /root /usr/sbin/locale-gen >/dev/null 2>&1

i beg to differ - this outputs messages like:

Generating locales (this might take a while)...
  en_US.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.

which is nice to have during system bootup (and it's not a debug message
as you were implying to). if you want completely silent bootup, use one
of the bootsplashes available.

-DEBUG_XORG_PACKAGE=1 DEBUG_XORG_DEBCONF=1 live-reconfigure /root
xserver-xorg 2>&1 \
+live-reconfigure /root xserver-xorg 2>&1 \

ack.

Regards,
Daniel