Re: testing a new PC

Hi

Thanks for your reply,

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 03:41:25PM +0200, Michal Suchanek wrote:
> 2009/10/9 Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com>:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'll be getting a NEW PC next week. I'd like to test the hardware. A
> > live CD/USB is naturally a simple way to do that. However: is there any
> > existing package with a set of tests to save me time when doing so?
> >
> > If there both a command-line interface and a usable X11 interface it's
> > even better.
> >
> > A quick search did not produce anything.
> >
> > Tests:
> >
> > * Sound
> >  - Try to play a sound
>
> try playing a long playlist in vlc/mplayer It will most likely fail to
> initialize sound for ~ every 5th file because ALSA sucks

It appears you got me wrong: I want to test it before I buy. I can't
spend 30 minuted or more at the store.

Such tests were useful, though, for a store assmbling systems. Anybody
automated them? I see "ctcs" in Unstable.

> >  - Warn if volume is 0?
> > * Video
> >  - Running X11 is a test of its own
>
> try running (and using) Firefox for ~30min to see if the card locks up quickly
>
> try glxinfo to see if there is acceleration
>
> try running xscreensaver with all hacks installed and enabled for a
> few days without blanking and make notes which lock up the most :->
>
> >  - On the console: some frame buffer program?
> >  - Not sure about Compoiz and co.
> > * Scanner:
> >  - scanimage? xsane?
> >

> try memtest, cpuburn and copying ~20G data from a hardrive to
> /dev/null and to /dev/null on a network server

That requires a remote system. Anything on a typical internet connection
won't get close to saturating a typical network interface.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com