Re: lintian.d.o improvements

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 04:17:52PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> The reason why the tags were still in <pre> was because when the extra
> information wraps, it looks really odd and often hinders readability.

That's right, though I'm not sure using the horizontal scrollbar is so
much better: it can be annoying if one package has both, long and short
lines.

Anyway, is there reason to keep all the info in the same line? I agree
wrapping hinders readability in the current proposal, but how about
moving the extra info below the tag[1]?

This would also have another advantage: keeping the extra info always in
the same place instead of some variable position that depends on the
length of the tag.

> I didn't have the time to try to research how to use CSS to tell it to
> not wrap.  If there's some way to do that that works reasonably
> portably, I think not having it be <pre> is okay (although the results
> may look odd on text-mode browsers).

It looks like «white-space: nowrap;» does the job, though it is far from
perfect: headers and titles aren't resized, so it looks a bit weird with
the current layout[2].

 1. http://ettin.org/tmp/ldo-mockup/v3/unsorted.html
 2. http://ettin.org/tmp/ldo-mockup/v2/unsorted.html