Re: dxsamples: New upstream version 4.4.0 available

On 12/11/13 10:43, Graham Inggs wrote:
> The previous maintainer of dxsamples felt that the license of some of
> the examples added in more recent versions made it unsuitable for
> distribution in Debian.

I don't see a license problem with what you quoted. It would be nice if
the copyright holder had used a more common form of the MIT-style
license (the Expat license is the closest thing there is to a canonical
MIT/X11 license, and is the one in the OSI license list), but it appears
to be DFSG-compliant and GPL-compatible.

The maintainer will have to copy this license into debian/copyright in
order to satisfy both Debian policy and the "... in supporting
documentation ..." clause.

>  * (C) Visualization and Imagery Solutions, Inc. 2002
>  *
>  * Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
>  * documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
>  * provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that
>  * both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
>  * supporting documentation, and that the name of VIS not be
>  * used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the
>  * software without specific prior written permission.

This is the first paragraph of what
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:MIT calls "Old Style with legal
disclaimer", with s/M.I.T./VIS/ and the last sentence
(mini-warranty-disclaimer) removed. Seems fine to me.

>  * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS-IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
>  * EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY
>  * WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This disclaimer of warranty looks fine to me, and is similar to the one
recommended for use with the GPL.

>  * VIS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING
>  * ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
>  * PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL VIS BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT
>  * OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS
>  * OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE
>  * OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE
>  * OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

This is back to what https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:MIT calls
"Old Style with legal disclaimer". Also looks fine to me.