Re: Open Web Foundation Contributor License Agreement Version 1.0

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 20:49:02 +0000 (UTC) Sune Vuorela wrote:

> On 2013-01-08, Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has the Open Web Foundation Contributor License Agreement Version 1.0
> > licensed been reviewed for DFSG compatibility?  I don't see it on these
> > pages:
>
> I read it as a Contributor License Agreement, and thus is only relevant
> if you want to upstream your patches.

It definitely looks like it, yes.

> Some people might call it obnoxius. Some people wont touch packages
> where upstream requires a CLA. But as such, it doesn't influence the
> free-ness of the source code.

This seems to be correct, at least to me.

But there's something unclear going on here: the debian/copyright
file of the opendmarc package states

[...]
|  As of the date shown at the top right of this page, the Contributors
|  have made this Specification available under the Open Web Foundation
|  Contributor License Agreement Version 1.0, which is available at:
|  http://www.dmarc.org/cla.html
[...]

and then quotes the CLA.

Well, if I understand correctly, we are talking about some document
which is a specification (I guess it is
/usr/share/doc/opendmarc/draft-dmarc-base-00-02.txt.gz
shipped by binary package opendmarc).

Which (copyright) license is this document released under?

This is not clear to me: it's clear that any contributor have made
their contributions available *to* the Open Web Foundation under
the CLA, but it's unclear which (copyright) license has been chosen
*by* the Open Web Foundation to release the document *to the public*.

I would say that this license is what is relevant to answer the
important question "does draft-dmarc-base-00-02.txt.gz comply with
the DFSG?".

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!