google translating gpl2+ licenced documentation...

Hi,

debian-edu-doc is a gpl2+ document, which is translated into several
languages. Now Petter had the idea to feed this into google translations,
using http://freetranslation.mobi and committed the results back into the
debian-edu-doc svn repository.

<h01ger> pere_away, what does semiautomatic mean here? you let google
translate do the work and review?
* h01ger wonders if he has to add google to translation copyright holders now
<h01ger> i think i do. fun fun fun
<h01ger> When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give
Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store,
reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from
translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works
better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly
display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are
<h01ger> or the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our
Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop
using our Services (for example, for a business listing you have added to
Google Maps). Some Services may offer you ways to access and remove content
that has been provided to that Service. Also, in some of our Services, there
are terms or settings that narrow the scope of our use of the content
submitted i
<h01ger> n those Services. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us
this license for any content that you submit to our Services.
<h01ger> yay yay yay
<h01ger> pere_away, you didnt have the rights to do that. you cant give google
unlimited rights on gpl2 content
<h01ger> please clean up the mess
<pere> h01ger: you seem to confuse your home-grown idea about the use of
google translate with facts.
<pere> the semi-automatic translation is done using <URL:
http://freetranslation.mobi/ >.
<h01ger> yeah
<h01ger> which is powered by google translate
<h01ger> so?
<pere> yes, so?  I have not granted google any rights.   for me to grant
someone any rights, I have to do so willfully, and there is nothing on <URL:
http://freetranslation.mobi/ > even remotely close to indicating that I have
signed such transfer.
<pere> by replying, you grant me the right to your first born.
<h01ger> not knowing the law or usage terms doesnt mean you can break them
<pere> thank you.
<h01ger> thats bullshit. while the google legal terms are not, even if we
think they are
<pere> or perhaps agreements can not be formed by only one party.
<h01ger> you agree by using the service
<h01ger> thats the same when you enter a restaurant
<h01ger> you dont sign a contract than neither
<pere> and I used the <URL: http://freetranslation.mobi/ >, where none of the
terms you have dug up are mentioned.
<h01ger> "Translations Powered by Google
<h01ger>  A Yup.mobi Site
<h01ger>  © FreeResources.mobi "
<pere> I suspect this thread is going nowhere, so lets try another one.
assuming that I have without seeing any terms and without being aware of it,
transferred google rights to use the strings I feeded it.  what do you expect
will happen?  who will take what action against the project based on this?
<h01ger> in any case that translation should be removed to not polute future
work on translations

I'd like to get some feedback on this matter, please cc: me I'm not subscribed
to -legal.

Thanks!

cheers,
	Holger