[hugh.m.bright@gmail.com: fixing openscad license issues with OGL_helper.h]

hello walter, hello debian legal,

there has been some work and discussion going on on the openscad list
based on your code, culminating in this mail i received from one of the
developers.

(don, sorry for my delay, i'm just home from holidays)

could you make some statement on whether what don has done is sufficient
to get us out of the license mess?

----- Forwarded message from Don Bright <hugh.m.bright@gmail.com> -----

Dear Chrysn

I have re-implemented OGL_helper.h using different code. I rewrote the
whole thing. It was a 'dirty room' implementation though, not clean
room. The code is almost entirely different (you cant for example set
the GLU tessellation winding order without calling the single function
that sets the GLU tessellation winding order, so that line is the
same), but some of the design is the same. After all, there aren't
that many ways to write a for loop (and in fact one part of mine uses
a while loop instead of a for loop).

I need guidance on the copyright issue. Is my re-implementation still
considered QPL under the Max Planck institute copyright? Or is it my
copyright, so I can put it under GPL?

I have asked the OpenSCAD mailing list, and got one response from
someone who says they worked for Novell in the past but were not a
lawyer. I asked on the CGAL discussion list what the Max Planck
Institute would think, and got no response. I asked the guy who wrote
the original OGL_helper.h , Peter Hachenberger, and also got no
response.

Can you or anyone at Debian help? Thanks

-Don B

----- End forwarded message -----

thanks
chrysn