Share Scratch, but restrict the use of trademarks

Hi Debian legal,

I work for the research group at MIT that develops and maintains Scratch.�Scratch is a programming language that makes it easy for kids to create their own interactive stories, animations, games, music, and art -- and share their creations on the web.

I'm working on getting the rest of the Scratch Team to sign off on releasing Scratch 1.4 under the GPL v3. One roadblock that remains is that we feel it's important to prevent others from re-releasing modified versions of Scratch with our trademarks. We *do not* want to prevent maintainers or helpful contributors from fixing bugs or�addressing security issues�in the official Scratch package. And we're happy to see Scratch remixed as long as the remix isn't called Scratch, and doesn't use our logo or the Scratch Cat (this has been done many times already�under our current custom license).

Are there good legal strategies for providing these protections that you'd recommend we look into? We'd very much like Scratch to be included in Debian's repositories, as well as other distros.

Thanks -
Amos Blanton
Scratch Community Coordinator
scratch.mit.edu