Re: Art content licensing question

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 16:21:05 -0400 Bart Kelsey wrote:

> Greets!

Hi!  :-)

> I was wondering if the following license (heavily modified from zlib) would
> be acceptable for works of art included Debian:

The license is only a far relative of the zlib license.
It even attempts to implement a (weak) copyleft, in contrast with
the non-copyleft nature of zlib...

[...]
>    1. [...] If you use this work
>    in a product, an acknowledgment of this use is required.

I am not sure that this is fine: would an acknowledgment in the product
packaging or documentation suffice?
Or must I buy TV advertisement time-slots on all TV broadcasters across
the world, in order to let anyone know that I used the work in my
product?

[...]
>    4. All aggregates containing this work must be allowed to be sold,
>    swapped, given away, or otherwise distributed freely.

I personally think that this fails to meet DFSG #9, as it contaminates
other software distributed along with the licensed work.

[...]
> Any thoughts?

My own personal opinion is that this license is *not* suitable for
Debian.

What do others think?

--
 New location for my website! Update your bookmarks!
 http://www.inventati.org/frx