Re: question about Good/Evil in a license

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 12:27 AM, Antonio Radici <antonio@dyne.org> wrote:

> the following is a license of a file called tools/jsmin.py included in
> the version of libv8 distributed by Google, the notice that "the
> software shall be used for Good, not Evil" tells me that this is a
> non-free license, can you confirm this?

Trivially non-free (DFSG #6). Also, the word "evil" is far too
subjective to be meaningful in a license.

That said, there are many mentions of this phrase in the archive already:

http://walrus.rave.org/source/search?q=%22shall+be+used+for+Good%2C+not+Evil%22&defs=&refs=&path=&hist=

Perhaps you could ask the ftpmasters about this and file RC bugs if appropriate?

There are some replacements for jsmin:

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/compressor/
http://dean.edwards.name/download/#packer

--