Re: legal questions regarding machine learning models

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 13:03:15 +0100 MJ Ray wrote:

> Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 May 2009 14:11:29 -0700 (PDT) Ken Arromdee wrote:
> > > In the US and some other places, bitmap fonts can't be copyrighted.  You can
> > > make a free bitmap font by rendering a non-free font at a particular size.
> >
> > Interesting: could you point me at the specific article that states
> > this rule in http://www.copyright.gov/title17/  ?
>
> Like the UK, US law can be created by case law deciding any grey areas
> and not only rules stated in legislation.

Yes, I know, but sometimes I fail to take it into account...  :p
Thanks for reminding me!  :-)

> That may have happened here
> and then it wouldn't appear in that document.  I don't know.

OK, let's rephrase my question in a better, more precise, form:
could someone point me at the specific article that states
this rule in http://www.copyright.gov/title17/ or to the specific court
decision that created this rule?

> > Anyway, even assuming that those bitmap fonts are DFSG-free in the US
> > and "some other places", what about other jurisdictions?
>
> I think that the Berne Convention Article 7 part (8)
> http://www.law.cornell.edu/treaties/berne/7.html
> exports the US zero protection duration in this case.

This is useful, thanks for pointing my attention at this Berne
Convention article!

> We can't rely on US Fair Use because Article 10 (2) allows national
> law to vary it in each country.

Yes, this makes sense.

> IANAL and I could be wrong about this, so would welcome correction.

As usual, thanks for your useful contribution!

--
 New location for my website! Update your bookmarks!
 http://www.inventati.org/frx