Re: Do web applications disable GPL obligations?

"Måns Rullgård-3" writes:
>Mark Tyler <mtyler70@yahoo.com> writes:

>> Dear all,
>> I hope this is the right list to discuss GPL related issues. (Or where
>> would be a better place to get help with the following question?)
>
>Your question doesn't relate to Debian, so strictly speaking it is
>off-topic here.
We are talking about Debian servers, of course ;-)
Fact is that I haven't found a list or a newsgroup where GPL questions are
answered nearly as competent as here. So I thank all writers for sharing
their experience.

>It is my understanding that source is only required to be supplied to
>those who receive binaries.  In your case, it seems pretty clear that
>the Java classes should be accompanied with source (or instructions
>how to obtain it).
This is exactly how I see the situation. But two questions remain to be
clarified:
1) I have not mentioned explicitly that the Java classes are published as
applets on a website. They are not offered as standalone download. I don't
see any difference in that the source code of GPLd applets must still be
made available, do you?

2) What about icons which are delivered with any GPLd software (not
necessarily our situation, but if it is different, please mention the
crucial points as well)? I haven't found a conclusive answer in previous
discussions on this list. I don't see how icons are affected by the GPL,
because the GPL deals with source code and binary program code, not with
media files. For this reason I assume that icons remain copyright of their
creator, such as any data which is published without any license at all. Is
this assumption true, or what are the obligations if somebody copies icons
onto his website, icons that we created for and distribute with our GPLd
software?

>However, source for software that only runs on the
>server need not be supplied to users of the service.
This is evident.

>Disclaimers: IANAL, TINLA.
BTW, is there a reason why many of the list contributions end with these
acronyms? Do they have any legal significance or do they only show that you
don't want to be misunderstood to tell the final truth?

Thank you!
M. Tyler