Re: [Fwd: Re: [gNewSense-users] PFV call for help.]

Am Mo 28 Jan 2008 09:27:54 CET
schrieb "John Halton" <johnhalton@gmail.com>:

> Perhaps first of all we need to ask if there is a legal system on
> earth that would regard contributing to this mailing list as
> constituting "legal advice" in the first place.

Okay: Yes there is. At least the German one, and, as we've heard, the
US one too.

> People shouldn't be coming on to this list for "legal advice". That's
> not what it's for.

I think it's not a matter of what people *should* do. Actually, people
are coming here and asking what they should do with regard to this
software, that license, this exception.

> Up to a point. But I don't think it is a case of whether something is
> "legal advice" in the abstract, but whether (a) the person sending the
> message owes its readers a duty of care, and (b) whether the readers
> are entitled to rely on the message as legal advice. That seems pretty
> unlikely to me - or I wouldn't post on this list at all, disclaimer or
> no disclaimer - and so the need for a full, explicit disclaimer seems
> minimal. "TINLA" just makes the point that bit clearer, in a
> light-hearted and generally accepted manner.

Okay, so you are advising me that this specific behaviour is not a legal
problem in the UK. But you are not giving "legal advice" in the legal
sense of the word. The UK legal system seems to be thriving, if it's
able create such fine distinctions :)

Michael Below

--
Michael Below